.swf pages won't open
Panic
2007-09-17 21:55:13 UTC
When someone sends me a link sending me to an html that goes to a .swf file,
it doesn't work. It opens the page in IE and say "error". Any ideas?
Sometimes at the bottom of the IE page instead of "error" it shows ":done"
but nothing is there. I have several .swf files on my hard drive that list
as Shockwave Flash Objects. When I double click them it opens Internet
Explorer and plays them just fine.

I have WinXP Home SP2 updated and IE 7 that otherwise works OK. I use
Windows Firewall and Cox cable anti-spam, anti-spyware programs. I recently
had to do a repair/install of WinXP SP2 but it is fully up to date.

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site
http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
USAF Pilot Class 55-I Web Site
http://pilotclass55india.org/
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
2007-09-17 22:07:10 UTC
Post by Panic
When someone sends me a link sending me to an html that goes to a .swf
file, it doesn't work. It opens the page in IE and say "error". Any
ideas? Sometimes at the bottom of the IE page instead of "error" it shows
":done" but nothing is there. I have several .swf files on my hard drive
that list as Shockwave Flash Objects. When I double click them it opens
Internet Explorer and plays them just fine.
I have WinXP Home SP2 updated and IE 7 that otherwise works OK. I use
Windows Firewall and Cox cable anti-spam, anti-spyware programs. I
recently had to do a repair/install of WinXP SP2 but it is fully up to
date.
Try uninstalling / reinstalling Flash Player. Use the uninstaller at
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
Flash player download:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
If there are still problems see
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=fb1634cb
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.
Panic
2007-09-17 23:53:04 UTC
Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Post by Panic
[...]
I just tried all that, Frank and it didn't help. It must be something with
IE7. That last link had me open Control Panel, select IE and choose Repair.
The only option I have on that is to Remove. Since I COULD open .swf files
that were on my computer I figure it must be something about IE, even though
the .swf files I open and run on my computer are using IE7. So I opened
Netscape and went to the online site of the .swf file and could see it OK.
Go figure.
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
2007-09-18 00:13:27 UTC
Post by Panic
[...]
Tools | Manage Add-ons
Disable everything but Flash and/or Shockwave, restart IE and try again.

What Norton products are you using?
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.
Panic
2007-09-18 17:06:26 UTC
Post by Panic
[...]
When I click on Tools | Manage Add-ons neither Flash or Shockwave appears in
the list. I re-installed both. They still don't show. I got an answer
saying that because the .swf file was part of the URL rather than a link to
a page that had the .swf imbedded, the "Cross-Domain Protection" is what
prevents it from showing. I tried that gentleman's suggestions and still
can't get internet accessed IE .swf files to play.

I removed all my Norton NIS programs from my computer. I'm using Windows
Firewall and Cox Cable AV and spyware controls.
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
2007-09-18 19:41:17 UTC
Post by Panic
[...]
Sorry then, I don't know. I don't have Flash.
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.
Donald Anadell
2007-09-18 15:51:18 UTC

If your links to the Flash files are in the form of "someserver/some.swf"
then your inability to view them in the Browser when you click on the link
is due to a new Security Feature in IE7 called "Cross-Domain Protection".
And IE7 comes opted into this new feature by default. You can read about
the new feature here:

There is no User mechanism to opt IE out of this new feature in Internet
Options, but a Registry tweak workaround is posted here.
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=877645&SiteID=1

Good Luck,

Donald Anadell
and could see it OK. Go figure.
Panic
2007-09-18 16:41:12 UTC
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to IE.
ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of 1 but I
still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.

Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose it
for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by clicking
on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do that (it may
ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could ignore that. Then,
whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there in Netscape, avoiding
that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be only .swf cross-domain
links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but Copy the link in OE, open
Netscape and Paste it there. What do you think?
Hi,
and could see it OK. Go figure.
Donald Anadell
2007-09-18 17:00:31 UTC

It is the following procedure you have to perform in the Registry in order
to Opt IE7 out the Cross-Domain protection feature:

To opt-out of the cross-domain protection feature:
1. Click “Start”, “Run”.
2. Enter “regedit”
3. Find and select the following registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl
4. Click “Edit”, “New”, and “Key”
5. Enter FEATURE_BLOCK_LMZ_SCRIPT
6. Next, click “Edit”, “New”, and “DWORD”
7. The name should be set to the process name of the application
experiencing the problem. For example, if the application is IE7, then enter
“iexplore.exe” (without the quotes)
8. The Value (double-click on the newly created entry) should be set
to “0(Zero)” (this opts IE7out of this feature, enabling the workaround)
9. Close the Registry Editor
10. Close all open instances of IE7 and restart the program.

Once you've completed this process you should once again be able to open an
object such as a .swf or .pdf file in the Browser, who's link is in the form
of "someserver/some.swf" or someserver/some.pdf.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to IE.
ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of 1 but
I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose it
for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there in
Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be only
.swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but Copy
the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you think?
Hi,
Panic
2007-09-18 20:49:20 UTC
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it to
decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and noted
that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to hexadecimal so I
guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between changes to insure the
setup was correct.
Post by Donald Anadell
Hi,
It is the following procedure you have to perform in the Registry in order
1. Click "Start", "Run".
2. Enter "regedit"
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of 1
but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose it
for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
Donald Anadell
2007-09-18 21:10:06 UTC
Some times a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a screenshot of
how it should look in the Registry after you create the Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BLOCK_LMZ_SCRIPT
http://users.mikrotec.com/danadell/wwwpages/test/LMZ.html

Good luck,

Donald Anadell
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
Panic
2007-09-19 16:48:40 UTC
Bingo! Thanks, Don. Somehow I didn't "get" that I had to first create the
FEATURE_BLOCK_LMZ_SCRIPT entry and THEN insure that was (0). That info was
there the second time but I must have been having a "senior moment". I was
editing the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN
entry. That was the recommended "opt-in" solution. That didn't work. Your
most recent one was the "opt-out" option and that did work. Newsgroups are
a great source of help. And you are a fine person.
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
Donald Anadell
2007-09-20 12:09:33 UTC
You're welcome, just keep in mind that you are running IE7 in a less Secure
environment by making this tweak.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
PCLIVE
2007-09-20 15:39:35 UTC
Donald,

Do you know how to fix this for IE6? My symptons are the same. If try to
open a .swf file with IE, I get a blank screen and it says 'Done' at the
bottom. I'm using IE6, 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_070227-2254. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
--
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
Donald Anadell
2007-09-20 17:18:33 UTC
Hi Paul,

The Registry tweak I supplied to the OP is strictly for IE7, to bypass a
glitch with a new secrity feature in IE7 called "Cross-Domain Protection".
Whereby when one clicks on a direct link to a .swf file on the internet(in
the form of "someserver.com/some.swf") the Flash file is not rendered in the
Browser.

There is no such native Security impediment to opening .swf file from a
direct link(URL in the form of "Someserver.com/some.swf") in IE6 that I'm
aware of.

For instance, if you click on the following link in IE6 it should download
and display the small Flash file called "idiot.swf" in the Browser:
http://users.mikrotec.com/danadell/wwwpages/SWF/idiot.swf

If you clicked on the above link in IE7 the Flash file would not render
usless you performed the Registry Tweak to Opt IE7 out of the Cross-Domain
Protection feature, but IE6 has no such native Security impediment.

You might make sure you don't have a third pary security application or
firewall set to block such content in the Browser.

If that is not the case then you might try uninstalling and re-installing
the Flash Player.

Download and run the manual Flash uninstaller here:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player.exe

Then download the manual Flash Installer file from the following link and
re-install the Flash Player:
http://www.macromedia.com/go/full_flashplayer_win_ie

Good luck,

Donald Anadell
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
PCLIVE
2007-09-20 20:19:27 UTC
That didn't do it. But here is something interesting. I installed some MS
updates and all of a sudden, the .swf files work now. However, now I get
that STUPID Active X thing where you have to click the ActiveX area before
you can click it to do what it was designed for. You know that thing that
displays this message when you hover over the affected area?..."Click to
activate and use this control". So I uninstalled the update. Now the .swf
thing doesn't work again. This is frustrating. The KB update was
"KB937143".

Any ideas why this affects the .swf files. Keep in mind that if the .swf
file is embedded on an .htm page, it works fine.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
--
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.
Donald Anadell
2007-09-21 14:10:33 UTC

I would suggest you install all Updates including the one you've mentioned.

There's no way to get around that "Click to Active" on an embedded
object(such as Flash), that's a result of the "EOLAS" patent lawsuit
settlement. It's now up to the web site owner to use the new embedding
techniques for loading Objects(typically an external .js file) to prevent
that "Click to Activate" annoyance.

Good luck,

Donad Anadell
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
PCLIVE
2007-09-21 15:19:25 UTC
Thanks for the suggestion. But as long as an update causes the "Click to
activate and use this contol" issue, that update will be black listed from
my computer. I know all about the lawsuit and EOLAS. I also know that it
is up to the website owners to apply different embedding techniques.
However, in my place of business, we used a few web-based applications that
this causes a nusance. Though I understand that it is recommended to
install all updates. However, there has got to be some other reason that I
can't run an .swf file in IE without this particular update. Certainly
there must be some alternative.

Regards,
Paul
--
Hi,
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
Donald Anadell
2007-09-21 15:50:59 UTC
Hi Paul,

Sorry I can't help you any farther on this issue.

All I can state with any certainty is that on a fully patched Windows XP SP2
Machine here(with IE6) I don't experience any problems with opening directly
linked .swf files(in the form of http://someserver.com/some.swf) in the
Browser. That problem only arises after an install of IE7(do to a glitch
with a new security feature), and the remedy for the problem(Registry tweak
to Opt IE7 out of the new security feature) has been addressed in this
thread.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell
Post by PCLIVE
Thanks for the suggestion. But as long as an update causes the "Click to
activate and use this contol" issue, that update will be black listed from
my computer. I know all about the lawsuit and EOLAS. I also know that it
is up to the website owners to apply different embedding techniques.
However, in my place of business, we used a few web-based applications
that this causes a nusance. Though I understand that it is recommended to
install all updates. However, there has got to be some other reason that
I can't run an .swf file in IE without this particular update. Certainly
there must be some alternative.
Regards,
Paul
--
Hi,
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default
browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
Scotty
2007-09-22 21:36:00 UTC
Try adding the domain where the SWF file is located to the Trusted Sites list
in IE.
PCLIVE
2007-09-24 14:51:45 UTC
This happens locally from the hard drive. No domain is involved that way.
in IE.
Panic
Colin
2008-01-03 22:27:01 UTC
I have had the same exasperating problem with IE7, but the Registry tweak you
supplied worked perfectly. Thanks Donald. Now, if I can just get PowerPoint
2007 working properly on all files, my laptop will be back to normal.
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
Donald Anadell
2008-01-04 21:02:49 UTC
You're welcome Colin.

Sorry I'm still using the old Office for Windows XP on all my machines here,
you might direct your question regarding PowerPoint 2007 to the following
discussion group:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.powerpoint

Good luck,

Donald Anadell
Post by Panic
Donald, the link you originally gave me said to set the value to (1) and
that didn't work. So I tried resetting it to (0) as in this post and that
didn't work. The number was marked as hexadecimal so I tried changing it
to decimal and it still doesn't work. I went into msconfig again and
noted that even if you check decimal it defaults automatically to
hexadecimal so I guess that's not an issue. I also rebooted between
changes to insure the setup was correct.
Hi,
Post by Panic
I tried the Registry edit, Donald. In that area are 3 entries close to
IE. ieexplore.exe; iexplore.exe; and explore.exe. All 3 have a value of
1 but I still can't play the cross-domain .swf entry.
Since Netscape plays the .swf files OK, I may open Netscape and choose
it for my primary browser. I figure I normally go to the internet by
clicking on the Internet Explorer icon so I should still be able to do
that (it may ask me if I want IE to be my default browser but I could
ignore that. Then, whenever I click on a link in OE it should go there
in Netscape, avoiding that .swf problem. Or... since it seems to be
only .swf cross-domain links, I could keep IE as my default browser, but
Copy the link in OE, open Netscape and Paste it there. What do you
think?
Hi,
1littlewitchlet
2007-12-03 18:38:42 UTC
After having the same problem and MANY hours of searching for an answer
resetting security options several times and pulling my hair ou
(LOL)----I finally found an answer.....and it seems to be a flaw withi
IE7
1--you can either open the swf extension in mozilla firefox browser an
forget IE
2--to make it so that IE7 can open swf files
open the browse
click on "tools"----then "options"---then go to the tab "advanced
under the "advanced" tab---scroll down to "security"----unde
"security" -----uncheck the box that says "allow active content to ru
in files on My Computer" & then click on apply and ok
you will have to restart your computer for this to tak
effect............but it worked like a charm!!! Hard to believe the fi
was so simple after all the hassle I went thru to find the answer

Hope that helps!!

--
1littlewitchlet